Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mmmmm, Bacon...

A few months ago I got pointed at Breda's Pig Candy post.  I told Mrs. Drang.  She shocked me by printing the post out.  Then she mentioned that her family reunion was coming up, and we were hosting...


Just got back.  She is still at "the other house*", where the party is/was, but I have to get up early to go to work, so I bailed.  


Anyway.  1 pound British-style bacon, unsmoked, and 1 pound American-style bacon, smoked.  Both think-sliced, from the local Proper British Bacon and Meats.  


("What's British-style Bacon, Drang?"  Back meat, not belly like American.  Think Canadian bacon, but cured differently.  Based on the clean-up, it may actually have more fat than American style, but it's not streaky.  Which, by the way, I am told is what they call American-style bacon in Blighty, "streaky bacon.")


Like Breda, I didn't measure my brown sugar or my powdered ginger.  Unlike Breda, I had no cayenne to add, alas.  Mix the sugar and the powdered ginger, dredge to coat both sides, lay out on grid in baking pan, sprinkle a little more sugar mix on top, and bake.  The first two batches I did at 350 for 20 minutes, then let go a little longer; the third batch was at 400 for 25 minutes.  I think that batch turned out better, not sure whether it was the (brand new) stove, or the thicker slicing. 


I texted Mrs. Drang that if there was no pig candy, she would know that I had either screwed it up utterly, or that it was so great that...  Well, you know. 


Now, I "Googled" (or "Binged", I don't remember) "candied bacon", just to see if anyone else did this, and there are, indeed, numerous other recipes out there.   They all seem to get to the same place by a different route.  Some have you par-cook the bacon before coating with the sugar mix.  Some use white sugar, some use maple syrup. I think the keys are :  
  • Bacon.  Check!  
  • Sweet stuff.  Check!  
  • Heat.  Check!
  • Enjoy! 
  • I said, Enjoy!  (Mmmf, mmmf, mmf.  More bacon candy, please!)
***
*"The Other House"=her dad's house, which we are gradually renovating and updating, and expect to move into... uh, soon.  End of the year, anyway.  We were originally hoping to move in and then go on vacation, but that didn't pan out...  

No comments: