Thursday, August 12, 2010

Not exactly what I was looking for...

...but it will do.

Long and long ago "the gang" used to hang out at a pub where a former Marine named Marty Burke used to sing Irish Rabble Rousing songs.  For variety, he sang a bunch of other stuff, too.

Besides the whole Irish/Celtic Folk Music thing, he introduced me to the works of Gordon Bok, especially his beautiful "Peter Kagan and the Wind."

Fast forward a few years, and I have just discovered that local record stores carry the recording by the various members of the Clancy clan, singlly and severally, with and without Tommy Makem.  One of the albums I bought was the The Makem and Clancy Concert, by Tommy Makem and Liam Clancy.  Which featured their even more beautiful rendition of "Peter Kagan and the Wind."

Which, alas, is not available on the CD or MP3 of the album, only the LP and Cassette versions.

It is on YouTube in two parts. 
Part I:

Part II:

The audio fidelity of the YouTube videos  leaves something to be desired, but I think it conveys why I say this is my favorite version.

No comments: