Wednesday, September 1, 2010

On this date, ten years ago...

I hung up my soldier suit for the last time.

Theoretically, it having been ten years, it really was the Last Time; while legally I am subject to recall for the rest of my life, practically speaking it doesn't happen after ten years. In fact, so far as I know, the only retirees who have "gotten a new coat of shellac", as Gordy Dickson put it, in the Global war on Terror, did so voluntarily.  (Somewhere I have a piece of paper thanking me for calling to volunteer to un-retire on September 12, 2001.  Oddly enough, there wasn't much of a call for Korean linguists at the time...)

2 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

From one vet to another: THANK YOU for your service.

Drang said...

Thank you, and ditto.

Actually, I don't feel like there's all that much to thank me for. I haven't even bothered to send off for my Cold War Veteran Service Certificate, or whatever it's called, which is worth the paper it's printed on. IMHO.