Thursday, September 23, 2010

Recommended reading

What with the way things are going in The Other Washington, there has been a trend in the books I've been getting from the King County Library System lately.  Here are a few titles I would love to hear that His Imperial Majesty, Botox Nancy, Hapless Harry, and the media elite are reading (but I won't hold my breath):
I am somewhat surprised at the way that last book, coming from the Council on Foreign Relations as it does, can't seem to cope with the idea that the USA was never interested in building an overseas empire in the aftermath of WWII, and missed a lot of opportunities.

It also sounds like Mao: The Unknown Story (by Jung Chang and Jon Halliday) and Mao's Great Famine: The History of China's Most Devastating Catastrophe, 1958-1962 (by Frank Dikötter) would be instructive (courtesy Ron Radosh, via Instapundit; access to the library catalog is down, I'll visit today to put these on my list.)

The Radosh review alone should be required reading,  considering all the "Oba-Mao" nonsense.

No comments: