The Seattle Sons & Daughters of Liberty: A Seattle Action Network WA 4 WI: Justice 4 Taxpayers Rally - MOVED TO SATURDAY!
SEIU had 2,500 union members in Olympia on Monday.
How many people will stand up for the rest of us?
We are getting more from Wisconsin than we bargained for this week, with up to 6 inches of snow on the horizon for tomorrow. In the face of a Winter Storm Advisory, we have decided to move the WA 4 WI – Justice for Taxpayers rally from Wednesday, February 23 to Saturday, February 26 at 11:00am. The forecast for Saturday is purely sunny, with a 0% chance of precipitation. The location and message are the same, just the date and time have changed.
MoveOn.org is also trying to sponsor a counter-protest at the Capitol on Saturday. We need people to show up and show their support for Gov. Walker, balanced budgets, and ending union monopolies. Please join us!!!
Please help us spread the word about this important update! Pass this notice along to all of your networks.
UPDATE: Rally moved to Saturday at 11:00AM!
WA 4 WI – Justice for Taxpayers Rally
Olympia Capitol – North Steps
Saturday, February 26, 2011
Olympia Capitol Grounds (Specific location TBA – Permit Pending)
Saturday, February 26, 2011
Washington shares the same public sector union problem as Wisconsin. We agree with the stand that Governor Walker is taking and want to see similar reforms take place here in Washington. Our budget is in a comparable place – state pensions and union collective bargaining have got a stranglehold on our taxpayers.
Outright repeal of collective bargaining is a conversation that we should be having here in our state and there are other proposals that would shift the balance of power back where it belongs - into taxpayers’ hands.
- This rally is not an attack on the individual public employees who are our friends, neighbors, and fellow taxpayers. It is about the unhealthy relationship between union leaders and state lawmakers that is forcing our state into bankruptcy.
- We condemn the labor policies where the State has given unbalanced power to one special interest group.
- We need to see courageous leadership regarding this issue from our elected officials now, before the situation becomes much worse and there is a meltdown similar to what is currently taking place in Wisconsin.
Spread the Word!
Organize Carpools – Volunteers as the carpool coordinator for your region. Simply email email@example.com with your name, city, and email address and we’ll post it to the Facebook event as the carpool coordinator for the area.
- Pass along this info via your email network.
- Tweet about the rally (use the hashtag #WA4WI)
- Post updates to your Facebook account.
- The Facebook invitation is here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=131646843570592
Make signs – We need to have signs that spread our message. Please avoid any hateful or harmful language that will misconstrue to positive steps we are trying to take.
- Taxpayers treated like 2nd class citizens
- Stop leeching, start teaching
- Even FDR opposed public unions
- Our kids can't afford your pensions anymore
- Justice 4 Taxpayers: Reign in public unions
- Hey public unions: You can't bully your way into a pay raise!
- Stop public union bullies - Support Gov. Walker in WI
- I can barely afford my rent, but my taxes are going up to pay for your pension!
The Freedom Foundation’s Labor Policy Recommendations:
I hope to see you ALL there! Please pass this on to everyone you know. And if you can, please consider taking a half day off of work, or bring your kids, or do whatever you have to do to get there so that the world will know that We The People will stand for intimidation and bullying no more!
- Give workers a choice about union representation—no one should be forced to pay a union as a condition of employment.
- Require unions to get permission from employees before using their mandatory dues for political purposes. No one should be forced to pay for another’s political views.
- Prohibit the use of payroll deductions for union political contributions. The U.S. Supreme Court upheld this policy a few years ago.
- Get the state out of the business of automatically collecting dues for the unions. If employees desire a union’s services, they’ll be willing to pay for it.
- Require public employee unions to disclose financial information to their members. Disclosure helps deter waste and corruption.
- Open collective bargaining sessions to the public under the state’s sunshine laws. This would give lawmakers, union members, and taxpayers more information about the process.
- Make it easier for workers to get rid of their union by holding union re-elections every several years.
- Prohibit the use of public resources for the union’s collective bargaining costs.
follow on Twitter | friend on Facebook | forward to a friend
Copyright © 2011 The Seattle Sons & Daughters of Liberty: A Seattle Action Network, All rights reserved.