Sunday, July 3, 2011

Intriguing Idea

An Independence Day Seder.
Four years ago, I wrote a column titled "America Needs a July Fourth Seder." In it, I explained that "national memory dies without national ritual. And without a national memory, a nation dies." Many readers and listeners to my radio show responded by creating their own rituals to make the day far more meaningful than watching fireworks and eating hot dogs.
If Mrs. Drang and I were not likely to be observing Independence Day with just us and the cats I think I might implement this ritual.

Some might feel that it's frivolous, but I actually like the somewhat whimsical elements:  While Independence Day  is a commemoration of great events, it is meant to be a joyous occasion, not a solemn one, so it seems fitting that an Independence Day Ritual should be fun.

No comments: