Thursday, September 15, 2011

Kauai, Day 5, Part I

I'm still going through the video I shot while snorkeling.  I'm using the same Kodak Playsport ZX3 I used last year, which, it occurs to me, I'm not sure I posted any video from that trip besides what Mrs. Drang shot of the sea turtle with the digital camcorder in her dive mask.  I'll get right on that as soon as I finish editing video from today.
Lawai Beach, where we went snorkeling.

The view "mauka", or "towards the mountains." Inland, in other words.  (Towards the ocean is"makai".)

After snorkeling, we stopped off at the Koloa Rum Company's tasting room, at Kilohana Plantation, where we went to the Luau Kalamaku Tuesday night.
This is a small (50 gallon) pot still; The Law says that, in order to have a tasting room, it must be attached to the distillery, so they fire this puppy up just often enough to comply.

They make White, Golden, Dark, and Spice rums, as well as their own Mai Tai mix.
We each got two shot glasses; the one labeled "Kukui Mai Tai" had some mai tai mix in it.  It was suggested we dump any rum we didn't want to simply "toss back" into the shot glass; by the time we were done, we had a nice little mai tai...


Some kind of flower Hibiscus outside the tasting room.


Some kind of flower Another hibiscus outside the tasting room.

No comments: