Friday, April 19, 2013

Patriot's Day

Usually, on April 19th, I post about Lexington and Concord, and the American Revolution.

This time...  Given the events of the last week, I keep coming back to this:

Earlier this week, I had some errands to run after work, and instead of coming back home, showering and changing and then going out, I just went out on the way home*.

Saw a vehicle on the road with two bumper stickers:
Obama/Biden 2012 
and
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism
So much fail there.

First, let's consider the semantics.  (Also maybe a problem of perception.)  Certainly, dissenting against an unjust policy, war, etc. is a Good Thing.  But what about a just policy, or war?  A foe invades your country bent on conquest and destruction, and collaboration is patriotism?

Reads like something out of Orwell.

Then there's the fact that this nitwit probably thinks that, every time I disagree with His Imperial Majesty, Barack Hussein Obama, I am a racist, crypto-fascist, bitterly clinging closet mass murderer cum terrorist, but whenever he disagreed with President Bush he was simply expressing the highest form of patriotism...

Admittedly, it is not "certain" that he thinks that, but since he hasn't removed the Obama/Biden bumper sticker, and, in fact, replaced the 2008 one with a 2012 one, it's probably safe to say that.

Maybe it's a bit of some sort of cognitive dissonance.

Or maybe some forms of dissent are more high than others.


*Since I cannot carry at work, I don't think I'll be doing this again any time soon, what with mad Chechens importing their insane homicidal cause. Large population of "Russian" immigrants around here, and I've seen many tattoos and bumper stickers to indicate a connection with that tragic nation.

No comments: