- He lived on Bainbridge Island, just upwind of me. (Well, across the sound...)
- During WWII he was a navagtor on B-25 Mitchells -- which pleases me as a military history and aviation geek, because that's my favorite WWII airplane.
- His plane ditched after a mission off Zamboanga in the Philippines, and he really was a castaway for a three hour tour that lasted a little bit longer...
- Was awarded the Purple Heart for that mission, on which he broke both ankles. Also the Air Medal and various campaign and other service ribbons.
- Until The Professor came along, he was always typecast as the heavy.
- Tried to get a role on the Original Star Trek.
Hat-tip, appropriately enough, to The Professor.