Thursday, August 1, 2013

More my style

Of souvenir, that is.

One of the most popular souvenirs of Alaska is an Ulu knife.
An ulu (Inuktitut syllabics: ᐅᓗ, plural: uluit, English: "woman's knife"[1]) is an all-purpose knife traditionally used by Eskimo women, both Yupik and Inuit. It is utilized in applications as diverse as skinning and cleaning animals, cutting a child's hair, cutting food and, if necessary, trimming blocks of snow and ice used to build an igloo.
(Wikipedia, at link above)
Here's a typical souvenir, not sure where Mrs. Drang got it; she had it when we met. It's actually made of okay steel, but may well have come from A Las Ka, PRC. This is in the Savoonga style.
(An Ulu maker's leaflet that lists styles of Uluit is here.)

This one is Mrs. Drang's souvenir Ulu, a Nunavak style, I believe:
This one is actually Made in Alaska, USA. The handle hole is too small for me, which was the case with every Ulu of this style I tried. She found it in The Knife Shop in Juneau, AK.

In the same building was a small souvenir store that took a lot of our money, including for the bar of soap I posted about last week, and a nifty necktie with Northwest Native-style wolves on it. 

Bristol Bay pattern Ulu, blade of old carbon steel saw blade. 

That cutting board/bowl it's on actually came with Mrs. Drang's Ulu, and the bone stand hers is on in the photograph came with this one. This picture shows part of the reason I liked this one -- it fits!

I don't have a walrus or polar bear to butcher, but Mrs. Drang did ask me to shred some cabbage for slaw...
More info: Outdoors magazine: The Ulu Knife (.Pdf.)

9 comments:

  1. The caribou bone stand that my caribou bone handled ulu is sitting on came with it. And that ulu fits my hand quite nicely. Your ulu is pretty nifty, and I like that we found one that fits your hand, but it didn't come with a stand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the bowl WAS the stand for your knife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like it works just dandy for making cabbage slaw. Just a thought, did my idea make my cutting bowl turn purple? I'm not sure how well I had seasoned it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the cutting bowl was a "come into our store" incentive - it works well to hold yours :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first ulu was purchased somewhere around 1980. I used it when I was trimming the inside of a sheepskin prior to tanning it. The curved shape is pretty useful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drang, got a link to the company that made yours? I need a good hand-axe, for.... things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DaddyBear try http://alaskaknifeworks.com
    2 Marine Way #114
    Merchants Wharf, Juneau
    (907) 586-1327
    we didn't see any of the Bristol Bay style on his shelf when we were there but I bet that they could make them
    OR contact Rufus K Page at
    2 Marine Way # 120
    Merchants Wharf,
    Juneau, AK 99801
    (907) 586-2600
    the gift store where we actually bought his (they had 2 when we walked in)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maynard Lidner, Dancing Man Knives; lives in Homer AK, does not sell direct. His wife does have an ebay store: Knives, Antler Handles items in LocalShowcase store on eBay!

    You might also look into the Shakaulu by CRKT

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the most appealing Ulu I've ever seen, nice, congrats!
    -Erik from Seattle

    ReplyDelete