Saturday, November 29, 2008

Ratbane's Manifesto

I am The Tomcat.

I may live in a house, but it is by choice. I am not your pet, nor your servant, but I may be your friend. You are my friends, as you gave me a home when I was hurt and hungry and alone.

But:

I come when I want, not when I'm called.

I may use the cat flap, but only because you are too busy to open the door for me.

You may feed me from a can, but do not expect me to cease hunting: For I am The Tomcat, the blood of The Tribe of Tiger is strong in me, and I am a predator. Never forget that.

When I am laying in your lap, purring while you stroke my back, I am still The Tomcat.

When I wrestle with the catnip mouse, and you laugh to watch, remember that I am still The Cats That Walks by Himself when I want to be, for "all places are alike to me."

When I come in from "the Wet Wild Woods or... the Wet Wild Trees or... the Wet Wild Roofs" and my fur is soaking wet and you towel me off, I stand for it because it pleases me, not because it pleases you.

I will only wear a collar so long as it pleases me--count the days. Who is your government to require a license of me?

For "still I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me."

2 comments:

Turk Turon said...

VERY good!

Lots of good "cat posts" lately; keep 'em coming!

Drang said...

I've actually had this one bubbling under the surface, as it were, for a while. Ratbane's been with us for quite a while now, but when The Girls were still around, he was Third Banana, and, quite frankly, we didn't appreciate him as much as we could/should have. We still miss The Girls, of course, but he has a lot more opportunity to be petted and skritched now.