Friday, September 3, 2010

Handy (talky) web site

NOTE:  In order to get the title, you have to know that almost all amateur radio operators these days start out with a handheld radio, which is (and has been for years) referred to in the vernacular as a "handy talky", or HT; this is actually the term used during WWII for the handheld radio, a "walky talky" being the backpack model.  Pics from Walkie-talkie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
SCR 536 "Handie Talkie"
SCR 300 "Walkie Talkie"


Now, many hams get by with just one or more HTs; I know several who have been doing this much longer than I and that's all they have.

(Not criticizing: While I have a mobile unit, I haven't installed it in a car yet; nor have I set up a "fixed" station in the house--yet.) 

Anyway, in the course of a discussion* on battery charging, maintenance, life cycles, etc, on the Yaesu FT-60 Yahoo! group, a post corrected the misconception that Nickle Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries do not "develop and hold a memory" like Nickle Cadmium (NiCad) batteries do, and posted a link to the Battery University website.

Handy info there, like I said, whether you think the pun in the title of this post was horrid or somewhat clever--or just obscure.
***
*I could easily have said "yet another discussion", as, if we banned battery discussions, I am sure that almost all of the email groups dedicated to handheld radios would dry up and blow away.

No comments: