Saturday, July 12, 2008

I Have A Bad Feeling About This

By way of this post over at The Adventures Of RobertaX, I learned of a plan to remake The Prisoner.

Oh, dear.

I cannot express the angst this fills me with. Aside from the general wretchedness of most remakes, I figure the chances of ITV/AMC resisting the urge to turn it into a political bash-fest are somewhere in the vicinity of nil.

(Battlestar Galactica being the only remake I can think of that turned out better than the original.)

I mean, yes, The Prisoner was all about the paranoia of The Cold War--but it made a point of being even-handed about it, i.e., the commies were Bad Guys just as much as the Free World. Somehow I doubt there will be any effort at even-handedness...

Also, so much of what was far-fetched fantasy is commonplace technology now.

Ian McKellen as Number 2? Maybe.

Jim Caviezel as Number 6? Local boy does good and all that, but...

Sigh.

This Will Not End Well.

2 comments:

Home on the Range said...

Next someone will rewrite Band of Brothers as a Pop Up Book. What's the world coming to?

JeanC said...

I 2nd the bad feeling. SIGH! Can't they just leave the old classics alone?