Saturday, May 23, 2009

"He must be a 'skinner...

...'cuz only a buckskinner would use a 'hawk as a garden tool."

Actually, my Cold Steel hammer-polled Rifleman's Tomahawk was the hammer I had more-or-less handy.

Note to safety Nazis: Yes, the sheath was over the blade the entire time.


UPDATE: In my post Memorial Day Weekend I speculated about going to the Museum of Flight today. Instead we stayed home and cleared the nasty, ugly, ill-poured and maintained concrete slab we have been using for a back porch, in preparation for having it resurfaced. The hammer-poll tomahawk was used for hammering, to get the rotting boards of the steps apart, when I couldn't get the crowbar into the gaps. (Actually only a few of the boards were rotten.) Since the handle of the 'hawk is longer than that on any "real" hammer I own, it was actually a little more effective. The steps had to come out before the contractor can pressure wash the nasty thing.

Mrs. Dang came home from an early morning appointment and changed into jeans and t-shirt and helped me with the rest of the job, moving all kinds of stuff out of the way, throwing much of it away, and then using a spade to scrape up all the weeds and grass that have grown between the cracks. (Mrs. Drang also saved many rusty nails to be used as dietary supplements for her plants.) She also found the edger I thought we had thrown away or lent and not gotten back. And, I found that it has been too long since I did Real Work, and now have a respectable blister on the palm of my hand.

1 comment:

Charlie said...

I've been using the Deathwish Drang as a signature for over a decade now. Good to see that there is another person out there addicted to good literature.

Charlie
semperfi909@yahoo.com