Monday, July 13, 2009

Greek to me... UPDATED

Mrs. Drang posts about dinner...

UPDATE:
Took the leftover Spanakopita* in my lunch today. Even better cold, the second day. WOW!

Here is the recipe from the Seattle Times' website. I note that the online version has several recipes not appearing in the dead-tree edition. Hmmm, offer info free online that isn't available for money in hardcopy, can't imagine why they're having trouble financially...

Ch-ch-changes:
  • We think you can up the feta cheese to 6 ounces, especially if you go with low-fat or fat free. We used fat-free, and the reduction in fat may have exacerbated a slight over-cooking. (Not burnt, just baked a little more than it needed.)
  • Added a small handful of pine nuts.
  • Depending on the phyllo dough you use, maybe reduce to 8 layers instead of 10.
  • Mrs. Drang thinks that maybe she'll try not wilting the spinach first. (To which I replied, "Okay", as if I had a clue...)
Working with phyllo dough can be...challenging.


*Greek for Spinch Phyllo Pie. Or maybe Spinach Phyllo Pie is English for Spanakopita.

2 comments:

Bearcatsspin.com said...

what I said was that I would chop up the spinach while crisp and then do a fast toss & wilt in pan - it would have to be easier than trying to chop limp greens

Drang said...

Ok, that makes more sense than "not cooking it", but I couldn't remember...