Sunday, January 24, 2010

A reminder

Re: My previous post, What a week!, not everyone feels that way, and we should try and behave appropriately.

So, Friday night Mrs. Drang and I attended a social event with some folks from her office.

We were the first ones to arrive after her boss and his wife.  They're wonderful people, but when we got there they were at the bar, sipping martinis and drowning their sorrows over what a horrible week it had been.  They didn't mention Scott Brown by name, but they were crying over Health Care deform and the death by evisceration of McCain-Feingold.

I managed not to giggle and clap, and say "Yeah, isn't it great?!"  I didn't even say "And then Air America went kaput!"

We just smiled and nodded in a commiserating fashion, and hung up our coasts, and waited for our chance...

"You think it's great that so-and-so has a job with a non-profit; well, now that non-profit can make a political statement like the NY Times or Fox News can."  "Hey, why should I have to pay for Medicare for someone who lives in Nebraska?  And why is it that my health care insurance through my Army retirement should be taxed as a 'Cadillac Plan', but some guy who belongs to a union with an identical plan isn't?"

The hits just kept on hitting, but I waited for them to bring it up, so they were the ones ruining the mood, not me...

No comments: