Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Related...?

No, this is not some silly "Separated At Birth?" schitck.  Rather, while trying to decide whether, and how, to talk about two differant articles on the 'net just now, it occurred to me that they were related in a way:
Reason.com: The Power to Regulate Commerce Across State Lines Is Also the Power to Regulate Non-Commerce Within a State
and
Classical Values: SUBMISSION TO AUTHORITARIANISM IS FREEDOM!

The first deals with the fact that, not only is the Commerce Clause of the Constitution being abused more and more each day, but that using it to control (as noted) intra-state non-commerce is, to say the least, a bit overboard.  And, as frequently noted, The power to regulate is the power to destroy, or something like that.  It has several links to discussions of the constitutionality of any individual mandate, etc.

The second article addresses the irony, or hypocrisy, of liberals excuse me, progressives, constantly accusing conservatives and even libertarians of being authoritarians, when it is the lib I mean progressives who want to tell others what to do, what they can and can't do, how to do it (or not), to what standard, and how often.

The later truly resonates with me, as people often assume that, being a retired soldier, I really, really like telling people what to do.  To an extent, this is true:  People like that, I tell where they can go and what they can do when they get there.  But I was "in charge" of others long enough to have had enough of being responsible for others' actions to last a lifetime.  Let alone having others claim some sort of authority over me.

I can handle responsibility, but for me what works best is to train any subordinates whose actions and performance I might be responsible for, to do their jobs with as little direction and supervision as possible, and then bask in the glory of their success.  I just wish I could convince my own overseers to do the same...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But I was "in charge" of others long enough to have had enough of being responsible for others' actions to last a lifetime. Let alone having others claim some sort of authority over me.

I can handle responsibility, but for me what works best is to train any subordinates whose actions and performance I might be responsible for, to do their jobs with as little direction and supervision as possible


Exactly.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

That sentiment was the inspiration for the title of my blog. I tried to explain it in my profile blurb, but I'm not sure how clear I made it.