Wednesday, February 29, 2012

"Act Of Valor"

Just got back from the matinee.

Oh.  My.  God.

I'll add to that:  HOO-AH!

I understand that some liberal movie reviewers--but I repeat myself--have been panning this film.  Apparently, the fact that it paints US military personnel in a positive light, and shows goat-raping, baby-murdering neo-barbs as bad guys means that it's propaganda.

The sacrifices of heroes and warriors like the SEALS depicted in this movie make your pathetic, defeatist, dhimmi whinging possible.  Keep it up, and they may start trying to find a way to only defend the parts they like. 

Furthermore, the dhimmi say, the SEALs who were the main characters weren't exactly Lawrence Olivier.  Duh.  They're SEALS.  Anthony Quayles* are in short supply in any generation.

On a personal note there, having spent so much of my life around warriors, I can say that the lines these guys were fed don't exactly resonate; they might say the things being said, but not that way, not even now that we're well into the fourth generation of warriors who grew up exposed to Hollywood hooey.

Anyway.  I don't remember the last time I went to a movie where I spent so much time on the edge of my seat, where I had to remind myself that it was only a movie, relax, enjoy the show...


Characterization is minimal.  The plot is simple--although not simplistic!  Cinematography was superb.  Gear was The Real Deal, duh!  Weapons handling was better than I have ever seen in any Hollywood production.  Again, duh.

Soundtrack was good, where I noticed it...

Mrs. Drang was giving me crap for going to a movie without her, so I guess I'll just have to force myself to go see it again.

Links to other reviews: View From The Porch:  Went to see Act of Valor at a matinee...
Farmer Frank:  MOVIE REVIEW: ACT OF VALOR...
BLACKFIVE: Question: So Why Do The SEALS Need (according to Hollywood) "a Propaganda Movie"?
BLACKFIVE: D-list actor compares Act of Valor to Nazi propaganda film
Powerline:  Liberals Decide They Don’t Like Propaganda
(Note:  Post title links to official movie website.)
*I read somewhere that Anthony Quayle was the only actor in SOE who actually did a good job in the field; most were poseurs.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see it. I can only hope to get to watch it in a movie theater instead of at home, but I may have to go alone as well. Mrs. CTone isn't too fond of icky warriors doing warrior things.

Drang said...

Just saw it again, this time with HH6.

Still as good.

Still shaking my head about chatting on the open ramp of the C130 with no O mask on just before the HALO jump...