- SayUncle » Other more enlightened countries: In Canada, a man defends himself from people firebombing his house. Guess who’s on trial? (They're charging him with "unsafe storage"...)
- The Smallest Minority: It's Kalashnikitty Time!
- The AnarchAngel : Bacon... Milkshake?. I got that email. Wasn't sure it was real. Apparently it is.
- Cap’n Bob & the Damsel » A Scary Obituary. A look at the source of the quote "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury."
- The Gateway Pundit | Where Hope Made a Comeback. He said what?! (Thank you, Founding Fathers!)
- Book review win: British Historian Andrew Roberts Reviews Deborah Scroggins’ 'Wanted Women' – Tablet Magazine
- Instapundit » Blog Archive » GUNS AND SELF-DEFENSE: New Cato Study: Tough Targets. Includes link to Cato's Defensive Gun Use map.
And finally, three items from Instapundit that address items I've had, um, discussions about with co-workers recently.
Dear whoever it was who was denying Google sucks up to tyrants: Instapundit » Blog Archive » DON’T BE EVIL — UNLESS THERE’S MONEY IN IT OR SOMETHING: Google to Censor Blogger Blogs on a ‘‘Per Country Basis.’
Dear bigot raving about the evil Mormons: Instapundit » Blog Archive » BUSTING ANDREW SULLIVAN for “prejudice and bigotry.” Just because you knew a Mormon who engaged in what you regard as unscrupulous business tactics, doesn't mean they all do. Next thing you knlw, you're herding them onto railcars...
Instapundit » Blog Archive » IT’S LIKE IT’S ALL JUST A CLASS WARFARE SCAM: “BUFFETT TAX” WOULD BE ONLY A TINY HELP IN CLOSING BUDGET DEFICIT.
If a zillionaire's major personal tax liability is for Capital Gains Tax, then, yes, he or she pays a lower tax rate than someone who primarily pays income tax. That's because capital gains taxes are paid on interest income on investments; the money invested has already had income tax charged on it.
Note also that when they speak of higher taxes for "the rich", His Imperial Majesty and his minions and fellow travelers keep shifting the bar for what constitutes "rich".
Not to mention the fact that, if you get a refund, you're not really taxed at whatever rate your income is withheld at. Note reports about how few in America pay any taxes...