Sunday, March 13, 2016

Well, that's not supposed to happen...

Members of the US military are covered under Servicemembers Group Life Insurance, or SGLI. It's a pretty good deal, considering that you are subject to going to unpleasant places and living an unpleasant lifestyle, which you may not survive.

Upon separation from the service --  discharge, retirement -- one has the option of converting it to Veteran's Group Life Insurance, or VGLI.

For years decades there has been a rumor that would periodically pop up that a "dividend" was being paid based on performance, or over-payments, or something. I don't think anyone knows how it started, I first heard it back in the early 80s. I always suspected it was part of some kind of scam that I was too naive to unravel.

Until now.

I got a refund check for overpayment. Not huge, it'll pay for a nice, but not epic, night out.

So I suspect that someone got a refund, and the rumor mill took over, and the next thing you knew...

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Yeah, I got one from VGLI last year... Burger and fries was all I could afford...