Friday, November 18, 2016

'Muricuh!

Seen at Instapundit:

A Qualified Defense of U.S. Soccer - Washington Free Beacon

I mean, I'm not all that big a fan of US Sportsball -- any of the three versions -- so Eurosportsball  is, well, icky.

But, still...
... imagine living in Ghana. Literally the only thing you have to be proud of in your dreadful, giraffe-free nation is the fact that your ragtag band of brothers has managed to lay low the Great Satan in the World Cup two outings running. You love soccer so much that the government was literally rationing electricity to ensure that you had enough power to watch the game. You’ll have been looking forward to this day for months, if not years.
And America ruined your shit yesterday.
This is what it means to be a global superpower, the hegemon of hegemons, the big bad bully on the block. We don’t even care about soccer and we still manage to field a decent team. We’ve appeared in the World Cup 10 times; only 12 nations have appeared more frequently than us. We haven’t missed a World Cup since 1990; only a handful of squads can say the same.


The hardest part of writing this post was trying to decide if I should start a tag for "sports", or maybe "sportsball." I decided, if I wasn't going to do it for the local American Sportsball team winning the Sportsball World Bowl, or whatever it's called, then Eurosportsball certainly didn't qualify.


2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Huh, didn't know that... Cause I don't watch soccer...

Drang said...

Me neither.

When Seattle got a Eurosportsball team, my father-in-law was excited, and I got looked at funny because I didn't care.