Saturday, November 28, 2020

For A Site Generally Considered Unreliable...

...it is sure easy to spend a LOT of time on Wikipedia!

Today's rabbit holes include:

Pronunciation note: KEE-wuh-naw: despite the spelling the first "e" is long, and the paired e's are short. 

Obviously, I was in a mood to Say Yah to da UP, eh today. Holy Wah and all dat.

That particular Wikipedia Rabbit Hole exploration was actually sparked by a Tweet in Iowahawk's Twitter weekly (or more often) feature #DavesCarIDService. (URL included, since embedding tweets these days is a mess in my browser.)

(Look, I understand if you don't want to get on Twitter, but Dave "Iowahawk" Burge's feed is worth it, if only for #DavesCarIDService, especially if you have old family photos featuring cars. Tweet him with the hashtag, and he'll try to get it when he can.)

Speaking of Iowahawk and old cars, another Wikipedia expedition started out with the 


*If so, I don't blame them, especially since they probably discouraged tourists, and it sounds like it was pretty hard to get to. Also, closed by the time I was old enough to visit on my own.

6 comments:

jon spencer said...

You missed the town Gay and the Gay bar in Keweenaw County. (both were there before gay turned into gay!)
Oh, and Isle Royale National Park, its in Keweenaw County too. Even though it is way out there in Lake Superior.

Drang said...

I was too young to be hanging out in bars when I was up there... camping with Mom and Dad.

And it wasn't part of the Wikiwander, but one trip up that way was for them to drop me off to catch the ferry to Isle Royale, for a hiking trip before I started college.

Thimbleberries raise havoc with hiking schedules.

Pigpen51 said...

My hometown is Hesperia, which has the distinction here in Michigan, of having the main street in town, Division street, being the border of two neighboring counties, Newaygo and Oceana. I lived in Newaygo, but attend school in Oceana. I had to walk both ways. It was a half mile each way. Now, parents drive their kids to school.
Now I live in Muskegon, a larger city, with none of the charm of my small village. I have been here for almost 30 years, and still miss my hometown.

pigpen51

Dad said...

No conspiracy, The Rocket Range did no show up on my computer back then. It was probably out of business when we were here.

Drang said...

From the Wikipedia article, it closed in '71. And it sounds like the road was pretty rough, so I'm not sure we would have gone even if we'd heard of it.

Old NFO said...

Oh yeah, you can definitely go down some ratholes!!!