Before the annual SHOT Show, RUMINT abounded that the BATFE was going to announce that the popular Saiga shotgun, which is based on the venerable Kalashnikov design, was going to be banned from import under the "sporting purpose" clause.
Well, not quite, but close:
- ATF Opens Comment Period on Proposed Ban on Popular Shotguns « The Shooter's Log
- SayUncle » ATF Shotgun Ruling
Meanwhile, the ATF seems to have gotten caught playing shady games:
- SayUncle » ATF allowing guns into Mexico`
- Senate Investigation of Project Gunrunner | Snowflakes in Hell
- Instapundit: AN ATF GUN-RUNNING SCANDAL?
Not surprisingly, it seems that this is having repercussions:
I also won't argue that government regulation is of absolutely no good whatsoever, but it often turns onto proof of the old adage that the first goal of any organization is the continued survival of said organization...