Thursday, August 24, 2017

I Did Not Know That -- Wikiwander

So, today turned out to be amazingly quiet at work, and I got everything I set out to do early. (The boss was out with the crud, maybe that helped.)

I looked something up on Wikipedia.

I never looked at Wikipedia Portals before.

I clicked on "History".

I did not know that August 23rd was the European Day of Remembrance for Victims of Stalinism and Nazi, observed in the US of A as "Black Ribbon Day." Take that, Antifa and Neo-Nazi creeps!

Then I clicked on "War."

I read about The military history of Canada.

I read about Isaac Brock, a separate article further down the page, although related. Of course, being from Detroit, I found the tone a little off-putting...

I read about the Krag-Petersson rifle and the Krag-Jørgensen rifle as well as a couple of other Norwegian rifles I never heard of.

I read about the Finnish Civil War, which I'd never heard of.

I read about Operation Downfall, which is a subject I know a bit about, but am always willing to look into, in case there's something new.

I read about the Polish–Soviet War and Władysław Sikorski and about Witold Pilecki, who volunteered to go to Auschwitz for the Polish Secret Army, through whom he reported on events there to the Allies.

I'm not saying I was reluctant to leave when my shift was done -- and I actually got a lot of the stuff I'm paid for done today -- but if I'm ever laid up in bed, my library card is expired, and my Kindle is broken, I think I'll survive a day or two on this sort of thing...

No comments: