Thursday, August 28, 2008

Courtesy of RobertaX, I followed a link to this post by Gay_Cynic at Free thinker.
Well, here's my take on it - if a political ad crosses the line into the slanderous or the libelous, why then it's a matter for the civil courts. Much short of that boundary is a clear violation of the FIRST Amendment, and prior restraint on political speech.

In this instance, an individual of means has chosen to spend some of his wealth on an advertisement bringing Obama's close association (some would say, his mentoring by) 1960's terrorist and radical William Ayers of the Weather Underground (aka, "The Weathermen", a group responsible for more than thirty bombings across the United States in the late 1960's and early 1970's) into play as a campaign issue.

Rather than respond to the advertisment, the Obama campaign has attempted to suppress the "bad-thought" via threats of litigation, regulatory harassment, and criminal prosecution. This does not bode well for Freedom of Speech under an Obama administration, at least for anyone not worshiping at the Temple of Obama.
The ad itself is embedded in the post. Frankly, it is nothing new. William Ayers is a good buddy of Obama. William Ayers is a Terrorist. Just because he and his partners in crime were native born Americans, does not reduce the fact that they carried out their bombing and murder campaign in the name of destroying the US government and Constitution, murdering police officers, destroying government installations. The only regret he has expresed is that "we didn't do more."

This filth is a good buddy of Obama.

I have already posted (I think. I did, didn't I?) that one of the reasons I am not all warm and fuzzy with the idea of Colonel Tigh as President is his support for McCain Feingold, which, as gay_cynic says in the post, is
... an abomination and a blemish upon the Constitution, a pustulent legal boil in vast need of the lancet of the Supreme Court.
(Geeze, don't pull any punches, there, buddy, tell us what you really think...)

Still, McCain Feingold was at least trying to address problems with the way we elect the President, and not by a bombing and murder campaign, either. I mean, I'd vote for John Connor if I thought he had a realistic chance of winning, but... No.

On a side note, I have to admit, I am delighted to learn that I am not the only blogger in the Puget Sound region who is not somewhere out there with Tim Robbins and George Soros...

No comments: